How can we help a person experiencing or at risk of homelessness that has a mild intellectual disability BUT who does not currently have an Individual Support Package (ISP)?

This is an issue that has come up a lot and there is often a service gap for people who are not eligible for a package.

Some issues that they may face include:

  • Difficulty understanding complex processes in housing
  • Difficulty remembering and following up
  • Literacy skills
  • Following on complex tasks
  • Communication
  • Limited financial management skills.


  • Consistent meeting times, using visual prompts, explaining without jargon, simplify processes and treat them with respect and dignity
  • Using strengths based approach
  • Are there too many services involved or not enough? A care coordination meeting can sometimes work wonders. People with complex needs tend to have multiple services involved and tend to be referred new services over and over again till it’s all a confusing mess. Encourage a key service to try to arrange a time/ location for support services to come together with the client to ensure everyone is working cohesively. Encourage the person to drive their own care coordination meeting

Financial Administration

Budgeting can sometimes be a difficult, and a lot of services apply to VCAT for a guardianship order if it is evident a person is struggling to manage their finances.

This involves taking the rights away from the person to make choices. As much as possible; encourage the person to volunteer and put themselves forward. One way of having this conversation might be highlighting things they want to save for in the future and how a service could assist them in saving for those goals.

Judge and Papaleo

Judge and Papaleo is a service that does similar work to State Trustees. They manage finances and a person is allocated one worker to speak to when discussing payments. This can be less stressful for some clients.

Phone: 03 9281 2000
Find more information: www.trustflinders.com.au

State Trustees

Provides personal financial administration service, and is the service that VCAT will refer to if a person does not nominate an alternative service.

Phone: (03) 9667 6444
Find more information: www.statetrustees.com.au

Can they access a package? What’s the process?

Apply to DHHS and they will explain the procedure.

Department of Health and Human Services

There are a few funding services, the main one is the Individual Support Package. Call the Disability Intake & Response Service and discuss your client’s individual needs as eligibility requires direction on what services the client is currently accessing, what they can access in their community and what they believe they need.

Phone: 1800 783 783
Find more information: http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/disability

Note: This process is currently undergoing changes so it is important to clarify with them directly.

Other Services

Opening Doors

Opening Doors is an entry point for those experiencing or at risk of homelessness. Follow the Opening Doors link to learn how the system works and entry points close to you.

Phone: 1800 825 955

SalvoCare Eastern

The Frankston and Rosebud Crisis Centres are entry points for those who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. These Centres provide assessment, information, advocacy and referral to a range of accommodation and housing services. They can help navigate services and link in with services such as family violence, drug and alcohol, health and mental health, legal, financial, employment, education and training.

Frankston Address: 37 Ross Smith Avenue, Frankston VIC 3199
Rosebud Address: 17 Ninth Avenue, Rosebud VIC 3939
Phone: 1800 825 955
Find more information: www.salvationarmy.org.au/SalvoCareEastern

Wellways (formerly MI Fellowship)

Wellways is a community based organisation who work with people affected by mental illness and disability, their family and friends. Wellways offer various supports including PHaMs, PHaMS Employment, Family Services, Partners In Recovery, Doorway, Opening Doors, and APARC.

Phone: (03) 9784 6800
Find more information: www.mifellowship.org

Outreach Support

Provides outreach support and training with daily living skills and assistance with gaining access to community services for adults and young people 18 years old or over with disabilities.

Phone: (03) 9784 5888
Find more information: www.marillac.com.au

AccessCare Southern

AccessCare Southern provides practical support for people who are older and/or living with a disability, their Carers and people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Workers will assist clients in having their complex needs met. Their large catchment area includes Kingston, Bayside, Glen Eira, Port Phillip and Stonnington.

Phone: 03 9581 4200
Find more information: www.accesscare.org.au

Active Community Housing

Active community housing are a state-wide service that provides long-term accommodation service for people living with a disability.

Phone: 03 9314 8555
Find more information: www.activecommunityhousing.com.au

Launch Housing

Launch housing merged with Homeground and Hanover and can provide a variety of supports to those who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Contact Launch to discuss your clients disability and how they may assist them.

South Yarra Young Adults’ Service: 60 Wilson Street, South Yarra, Victoria 3141
Phone: (03) 9826 9888
Cheltenham Housing and Support: Level 1, 11 Chesterville Road, Cheltenham, Victoria 3192
Phone: (03) 9556 5777
Bob's Place Dandenong: 35 Robinson Street, Dandenong, Victoria 3175
Phone: (03) 9792 0750
Find more information: www.launchhousing.org.au

Freedom Housing

Freedom Housing is a range of accommodation types that allow the individual to reside with family or independently in a typically styled yet fully supported environment, irrelevant of the level of care required to meet the individuals needs. Contact via website only.

Find more information: http://www.freedomhousing.com.au/

Independence Australia
Outreach Support

Provides individual outreach support for people with disabilities to enhance their daily living skills, help them to participate in the community, strengthen their relationships and to provide opportunities for them to live in their choice of housing.

Phone: 1300 704 456
Find more information: independenceaustralia.com


DARU (Disability Advocacy Resource Unit) is a statewide service established to resource the disability advocacy sector in Victoria.

Phone: (03) 9639 5807
Find more information: http://www.daru.org.au/

MetroAccess Officer

The Metro Access Officer works out of your local council and specialises in facilitating and advocating for social inclusion for people with disabilities. They are able to provide advice on any community networks and access issues that may apply to your client.

City of Frankston phone: (03) 9639 5807
Mornington Peninsula Shire: (03) 5950 1000
City of Bayside phone: (03) 9599 4711
City of Dandenong phone: (03) 8571 1798
City of Casey: (03) 9705 5200
City of Cardinia: 1300 787 624
City of Kingston:0448 983 707
City of Glen Eira: (03) 9524 3333
Find more information: www.dhs.vic.gov.au/metroaccess


Anglicare works with vulnerable and disadvantaged individuals and families of all ages. Services and programs range so contact them and discuss your clients needs.

Phone: 1800 809 722

Clayton office: 2 Dixon Street, Clayton, Victoria, 3168
Phone: 03 9543 8911

Dandenong office: 15 Scott Street, Dandenong, Victoria, 3175
Phone: 03 9706 8568

Pakenham office: 66-68 Main Street, Pakenham, Victoria, 3810
Phone: 5945 2000

Frankston office: 60-64 Wells Street, Frankston, Victoria, 3199
Phone: 03 9781 6700

Rosebud office: 1703 Point Nepean Road, Rosebud, Victoria, 3939
Phone: 03 5986 9900

For more information: www.anglicarevic.org.au

Wellways (formerly MI Fellowship)

Wellways is a mental health and disability support service. They understand the complex relationship between mental illness, disability and housing issues.

Address: 45 Davey Street, Frankston 3199
Phone: (03) 9784 6800
Find more information: www.mifellowship.org