Common Problems

Rooming House Looks Unsafe

Rooming houses don’t tend to have a great reputation and there are often reports of houses that are unreasonable living conditions, unhygienic, overcrowded, and dangerous.

Here are a few tips if you have concerns:

  • Check to see if it’s registered. Rooming houses are obliged to be registered with their local council who should inspect the property to ensure that it in reasonable condition.
  • Consumer Affairs Victoria has a public list of rooming houses under Estate Agents Transactions where you can search the Estate Agents Public Register.
    It is better to type in the suburb and check to see if the address of house is listed.
  • Call Consumer Affairs and register your concerns and they will provide advice about what to do.
  • Call your local council and request to register your concern. A local council worker will go out to inspect the property to check if it is operating and functioning within legal standards.

Here are some links for more information about what a legal rooming house should look like:

New rooming house guide from Consumer Affairs Victoria published online by Community Housing Federation of Victoria

Rooming houses: a guide for residents and operators published by Consumer Affairs Victoria

Rooming houses published online by Victoria Legal Aid

Frankston Rooming house Guide published online by The Peninsula Model for Primary Health Planning